Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Loren: In your face, I'll eat your face.

I have recurring nightmares about zombies. 

It doesn't matter what I could be doing in the dream, once the zombies turn up (or stagger up), I immediately know that I am in a nightmare. Zombie dreams are never funny, though not always scary, its usually heart pumpingly exciting. Its a bit of a love-hate scenario. I hate when they surprise me in the dream (like appearing in your toilet window while you're brushing you teeth), but I love when I get to go all Ramborina (thats the female version of Rambo, fyi) on their decomposing asses, making them eat bullets and tossing home concocted Molotov cocktails at them. Heart pumping indeed.

Which was why the feeling I got when looking at the new campaign for Givenchy's Fall 2009, was so.....familiar

"I wan...do...ead....your......blllaaaiinnnnsss..."
(human speak: I want to eat your brains.)
Okay, it was a toss up between zombies and Marilyn Manson.

Yeah, they look like they share the same family tree.

After getting past the first photo of Adriana Lima, who continues to change her image from sweet Victoria's Secret model to whatever that is not Victoria's Secret, I calmed my heartbeat down enough to check out the remaining photos. The rest of the photos were not zombie in nature, but upon closer inspection, more like the zombie hunters. Badass and staring you in the face, waiting to receive orders.

"Yes? We look slightly androgynous, but make no mistake, we have killer curves under these sharp tailoring and slick hairstyles...."

"We will go at any lengths to fulfill our mission orders. Sacrifices are not uncommon to us..."

"We're the muscle of the Operation. So tough we can even go shirtless when against man eating zombies..."

"We can go undercover as gentlemen of high society...or as bouncers of a club..."

Photographed by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott instead of his usual Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Martin (say it nine time fast.), this heavily french accented campaign is a stark change from his usual black and white studio shots, although they still do the dead-on stare out of the photographs. “It’s a new step,” the designer for Givenchy, Riccardo Tisci said. “I wanted to give this feeling of going from a studio to reality. It’s important to give reality to women.”

While luxury isn't exactly the reality of the common woman, I would much prefer that flow of thought, rather than the idea of bringing zombies from my dreamscape into the real world....even if I got to hunt them in Givenchy outfits.

No comments:

Post a Comment