Sunday, January 25, 2009

Loren: Inner/outer image

If you've been following this blog so far, you would have gotten an inkling of what kind of person I am. Yes? No? Don't know? Don't give two shits? Righty on.

Although I try to rein it in, somehow my general moodiness and cynicism about life tends to seep through my words like sweat stains in the armpits of a giant. Honestly, I think I am quite upbeat as it is already, but Tilly doesn't think so. And since she has known me for a little over a decade, I'm obligated to give her the possibility that she may be correct. After two decades she'll get a 50/50 chance of being right. After three decades she gets a bunny and a "I-told-you-so, Loren!" T-shirt. Look forward to it.

Since dressing is very much a reflection of who you are, and who you want to be, I guess that most people can imagine me in an all black ensemble, complete with a hood to cover my face and a sweeping cloak to swallow my victims whole. Oh, and sensible converse shoes, of course.

Actually, between Tilly and myself, you will see her more in black, grays, white and blues and me in almost any color except orange. With my rancid coffee complexion, orange makes me look like I have jaundice. I happen to wear an alarming amount of pink, bright colors, patterns and frills. Maybe its because I want to start over my life from childhood, and have the 'little princess' kind of lifestyle. I am frighteningly more comfortable wearing a froufrou skirt with tiers of white lace than a simple tank top. Come to think of it, maybe it is because of the way I dress that makes it difficult for people to accept me. (excuses, excuses.) I mean, I guess you might feel unhinged to hear a girl talk about having a longing to stab people with forks to watch the blood bubble around the metal prongs while the girl is wearing a pouffy floral frock with her hair in blue ribbon braids?

Its a clear case of when the outside self does not match the inside self. 

I'm trying to move away from those kind of outfits, but they come to me too easily. Dressing like an adult, or at least, like the adult that I want to become takes a little more effort. Still, I don't want to become one of those adults who wears suits all the time and think that pairing a button down blouse with a pair of pants is classified as a "dressed up outfit". And of all things that I don't want to be, the thing that tops the list is:

I don't want to be boring. 

I love textures, mixing styles and cuts to make an outfit that speaks to me. Dressing elegantly/primly is easy, its something I have been trained to do eversince my father brought me out to dinners with his business associates. But while that is simply another one of my personas, my true self is someone who likes to be a tad...jarring. With that in mind, here's an outfit that I would like to wear. 

For Blog
(Clickclickclick the picture for details.)

It does not follow any trends, it clashes a little, a bit showy, and its something I would feel completely comfortable in. There is one common trait shared between my inner and outer selves after all. They are both anything but simple. Just keep forks out of my reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment